Friday 6 November 2015

SPOTLIGHT: The Twin Dracula - Hell Hath All Fury



Let me tell you all a story. If you've ever spent more than five minutes in my company face to face you may have heard it already but that's ok because it's my best one....

When I was 11 years old I went into Virgin Megastore and picked out what I thought looked like the coolest cassette in the place. Bill and Ted liked heavy metal and I liked Bill and Ted so I made the assumption that a band called Metallica would probably be pretty cool.
The album I bought was Kill 'Em All, after I picked it up my mum had to stop in tescos and I stayed in the car and put the tape in to check it out. What happened next basically shaped me into the human being I am today. I'd never heard anything so fast and heavy and fucking awesome in my life and from that point on I became the Dan you all know and adore today.

I bring this up because I just felt the second coming of Christ listening to Liars on the brand new EP from The Twin Dracula. It shook me down to my core. I'm not talking just goosebumps I'm talking taking a shot of adrenalin straight to the heart Pulp Fiction style! This is something exceptional right here. Powerful falls short on the list of descriptors for the TTD sound. If you want to categorise it into a genre pigeonhole I guess it would sit somewhere nestled in the middle of a venn diagram with Hardcore Punk, Thrash Metal, Motorhead and Fat Wreck Chords. Does that help to pinpoint what you're getting? probably not but it's the best I can do.

This isn't for the faint of heart. Whilst not exactly the brutal ferocity of Almeida, The Twin Dracula are heavy like a freight train, they switch in and out of full on Metal riffage and Operation Phoenix style hardcore easily and without skipping a step which can be heard perfectly on Allura. You'll Never Defeat The Cobras shows that speed is something TTD are just as comfortable with too, when not dipping into epic rock operatic breakdowns. There is a lot on display stylistically from what is essentially three tracks and an intro. One thing you may notice is that the average length of a TTD song is about three times the length of most punk counterparts, again making songs feel just that bit more Metal in nature. These aren't flash in the pan moments, these are deep and extended experiences which stand well by themselves and perfectly together.

So its time for the conclusion paragraph. The Twin Draculas new effort shows that this is a band that have barely scratched the surface of what can be done with their unique and awe inspiring sound. You'll have to look far and wide to find something more accomplished than this. If like me you were that little kid that heard some band playing distorted guitars and thought it was the coolest fucking thing in the world then you'll hear this and find it hard to ever put down again.

No comments:

Post a Comment