Wednesday 23 September 2015

Triple Sundae Special: Do I even like Ska-punk?

It's a very bold move sticking trumpets in your punk. The great ska crash of 20..... I dunno I was in Brighton when it happened and those years are fuzzy, but at some point all the ska kids became emo kids just like Home Grown predicted and all of a sudden people were definitely not "all about that brass" ..... see what I did there, it's a typographical pun! It's only "funny" when you read it because it don't make sense saying it out loud.

I've gotten wildly off topic within two sentences ....... so brass sections in punk became a very rare thing. Only very few people really truly can get away with putting brass in my punk these days, almost exclusively those people are in Less Than Jake. LTJ were perfect in their execution and any band that wanted to sound like that would be held in high esteem by me.

Enter Combust. The Trips boys disappeared at the tail of last year into a cocoon and have now emerged as the beautiful butterflies they always wanted to be. The caterpillar Triple Sundae, all gruffness and enthusiasm has been replaced with in tune three part harmonies, anthemic jams and of course, that brass. No upstrokes or comical swagger like the stereotyped ska-punk bands of yesteryear, just good old-fashioned 90s pop punk with horns that never seek to be centre stage and only help to drive things along.

I liked it. It gave me warm feelings and a nostalgia buzz from dancing in the Camden Palace to Gainesville Rock City on a Tuesday night. I'm very much looking forward to them getting back on the touring circuit and it's been well worth the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment