Friday 19 July 2013

The mother of all good ideas...

field of rock!
You know when sometimes you do something and you wonder why the hell things haven't always been that way? Like the time when you spilled caramel ice-cream on a peanut butter and nutella sandwich, well that's how I'm feeling right now with the acquisition of Red Rag newcomer Drew MacLaughlin. I had my doubts about getting another band member in general, but of course  that seems like it was more to do with my own complacency than it being a bad idea. I think the band may now make that special leap from being something I like to listen to to being something other people wan to listen to as well!!

In true Red Rag fashion we have taken to practising in Ruislip Gardens playing fields, it's a definite step up from my shed (although the spiders all look lonely down there now) and I like to think we delight the ears of all those random Ruislipians that wander past finding a place for their dogs to crap.

As for the songs, Drew just kind of goes, "you know how that average arsed song you wrote goes well why don't I go like this <insert musical magic here>" and BAM! the song is super awesome. Things have been progressing along those lines now for a couple of sessions and I think we're onto a winner. I can't believe I toiled on for six whole months now by myself when I met the perfect compliment to my stuff on the fourth show I ever played as RRF. Hindsight, as with most things is a wonderful thing but better late than never is also a great place to start.

So what now? Well due in part to my complete lethargy when it comes to teaching songs to people we are gonna half and half my next show, with Drew coming in later, I think as well as easing into life as a duo it'll also be kind of a nice farewell to my life as a soloist, especially since it will be obvious how much better the second half of the set will sound. Apart from that I guess we'll need to discuss recordings and whatnot since I still have this idea that I'll (we'll) get a full length demo out before the end of the year. Maybe a video too. I guess I'll just roll with the punches and see where things end up.

Next show is with Demon Smiles and others in London on the 27th @ The Birds Nest in Deptford. Be there or be somewhere better!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment